How to write a cover letter for a job? with 7 Powerful Tips
This is our guide on How to write a cover letter for a job.
Applying for a job seems easy if you just send your resume to the company offering the job. Although it is true that the chances of filling the vacancy will be focused on the value of the CV, there are other elements that can be decisive in these selection processes. One of them is the sending of a cover letter for work.
With a cover letter, you can get closer to the company you want to work for, signaling your disposition and drawing the attention of the person in charge of recruiting. But, how to write it to distinguish yourself from the rest of the candidates? Discover how to write a cover letter for a job, with the fundamental parts it should contain, tips and examples, by reading this How.mybharat.me article.
How to write a cover letter for a job?: Contents
When writing a cover letter for a job, you should keep in mind that it can be of two types: spontaneous or self-application , that is, the one that does not correspond to any specific job offer and the one that does respond to a specific job offer. Both have a very similar structure, so they only differ in content.
How to write a cover letter correctly? Follow this structure:
- Personal data : write down the data that identifies you. You must include your name and surname, your address (street, number and floor), the postal code of your town, a mobile or contact telephone number and an e-mail.
- Company data : indicate the specific name of the company, the department to which you are going or to which the job offer corresponds, the name and surname of the person you are going to (as long as you know them), the address in where the company is located and the postal code of the city or town in which it is located.
- Date and location : add them next to the reference if they correspond to a specific job offer.
- Reason for the letter : explain briefly and concisely the reasons that lead you to apply for the job.
- Skills and Qualities : Describe all the qualities and skills that make you a worthy candidate for the job offered by the company. In this part you can also briefly mention the content of your resume.
- Closing : make a request to enter and be part of the company or, failing that, be a participant in the selection process.
- Signature .
Use this cover letter template to make sure you don’t forget any important parts, thereby increasing your chances of being hired by the company. If you have doubts about the structure of your data and address, remember that it is the same as in any letter.
How to write a cover letter for a job?: Tips for writing a cover letter
When writing a cover letter for a job, it is convenient to take care of certain formal aspects. Therefore, so that you can prepare a quality letter, we give you the following advice:
- Write the letter in DIN A4 size.
- Don’t use long sentences. Try to present the ideas concisely , without falling into ramblings.
- Use the same quality and format in both the resume and cover letter.
- Make a short cover letter, that is, without occupying more than one page.
- Take care of the wording and review the text to avoid spelling mistakes.
- Maintain a positive approach at all times.
- Don’t repeat words. Use synonyms and different expressions.
- This letter serves to sell you, that is, it must value the person who is looking for the job.
- Keep a copy of the letter on file. If you are selected, it will help you to remember what you wrote and the aspects that you highlighted.
- In many offers language control is valued, usually English. In these cases, write and send a cover letter in English so they can check your command of the language.
In addition to the cover letter, recruiters will appreciate that your previous boss, superior or co-workers recommend you. Our guide How to write a cover letter for a job is over.